اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
The first time I made these carrot cupcakes I actually had no intention of making them. However, that day I was looking through the fridge and realised we had a lot of carrots. I was originally going to make some carrot halwa but decided to go against that and make some cupcakes because I was craving some cupcakes. I know a lot of carrot cupcakes recipe do not actually use walnuts, but I think the walnuts add a nice addition to the cupcake.
I paired this cupcake recipe with a cream cheese frosting, but my siblings absolutely hate cream cheese frosting. So, in retrospect I will probably have to find another frosting to keep them happy. My recipe for cream cheese uses Philadelphia. I know some people might say that isn’t actual cream cheese, but it has always worked for me and there has never been a problem with my icing. This cream cheese frosting works as a cream cheese frosting for carrot cake and as a cream cheese frosting for red velvet cakes. I make sure to only make enough frosting that all of it is used up because I hate wastage!
I made this cream cheese frosting specifically for my carrot cupcakes. The tanginess of this cream cheese icing complements the sweet and spicy taste of the carrot cupcakes. This homemade cream cheese frosting recipe is baking classic that is perfect for practically any cake. The cream cheese icing recipe can be used as a base frosting and then can be flavoured additionally with ginger, lemon or basically anything to suit your preferences.
Carrot and walnut cupcakes are different to normal cupcakes because the cinnamon adds a kind of spice to the cupcake that is a twist to the normal cupcake flavours. When I first told my siblings, I was going to make carrot cupcakes, they were not very happy. I think the concept of carrots in cupcakes just completely put them off. If you’re one of those people, then trust me on this one and make them. My siblings loved the carrot cupcakes and they managed to finish all of them in ONE day. My auntie and cousin also came by that day and they also said that they loved the carrot cupcakes. Although with that being said, I don’t think they (my auntie – not my siblings as they would have no qualms in insulting my cooking) would have said otherwise even if they weren’t very nice…
This carrot cupcakes recipe is the perfect moist cupcake recipe with a hint of cinnamon spice and walnut crunch paired with a tangy yet sweet and fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cinnamon spiced carrot cupcakes topped with a smooth cream cheese buttercream are the perfect pair for your afternoon tea. This carrot cupcake recipe is guaranteed to be a hit with your family and friends so be sure to make extra. The perfect walnut crunch in a deliciously spiced carrot cupcake with a classic cream cheese icing recipe.
- For Carrot Cupcakes:
- 140g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon/Darchini
- 2 Eggs/Anday
- 150g Granulated Sugar
- 150ml Vegetable Oil
- 100g Carrots/Gajar (grated)
- 75g Walnuts/Akhrot (crushed)
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 60g Butter (softened)
- 100g Cream Cheese
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a bowl sift the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together
- Add the crushed walnuts to the mixture and stir to incorporate
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar together until combined
- Add the oil and whisk until the oil is incorporated
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Fold in the carrots gently
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases
- Fill the mixture evenly amongst the cupcake cases
- Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3 for 25-30 minutes
- Leave to cool completely whilst the frosting is prepared
- In a bowl whip the butter until pale and fluffy
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until incorporated
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract into the mixture
- Whisk until smooth and creamy
- Your carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are ready!