اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
Chicken jalfrezi is one of my favourite curries. Not only is it one of my favourite curries, but it has also been voted as one of the most favourite UK curries. This chicken jalfrezi recipe tastes exactly like the local Indian takeaway so you will never need to call them again.
I have made this jalfrezi chicken recipe many times over the years. Usually If I have chicken in my curry, then I almost always have some form of vegetable in there as well. In this case, a chicken pepper curry which is what a jalfrezi curry is. This jalfrezi recipe gives a thick sauce that coats the chicken and the bell peppers. The thing with chicken jalfrezi is that my parents don’t really approve of it because they like their curries to be watery like my traditional chicken curry recipe which I made especially for my parents.
Most people use boneless chicken for chicken jalfrezi, but when I don’t have any, I just use chicken on the bone. It doesn’t really make a difference, but I know some people only ever eat boneless chicken and some people only ever eat on-the-bone chicken. This Indian jalfrezi curry recipe is very easy to make and constitutes of pantry spices that you are almost guaranteed to have. The cumin powder and coriander powder can be substituted with cumin seeds and coriander seeds respectively. If you don’t have either, you can use garam masala as a replacement.
I made this chicken jalfrezi for my YouTube video and I was in a bit of a panic because I don’t have enough of those prep bowls, so I always use them and then have to run and go put the other ingredients back in there and use them. It is rather long. I should really invest in some more prep bowls, but we shall see how things go.
This jalfrezi recipe shows you how to make chicken jalfrezi that is authentic and full of flavour.
Chicken jalfrezi is a simple and delicious chicken curry. A chicken jalfrezi recipe that is filled with flavour and enough spices to make your mouth sizzle. This jalfrezi chicken recipe will be guaranteed to impress your family and friends. Perfect for all curry-lovers!
- 800g Chicken
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 3 Bell Peppers (chopped)
- 2 Onions/Pyaz (finely diced)
- 4 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 5 Garlic Cloves/Lehsan (crushed)
- 1-inch Ginger/Adrak (crushed)
- 1 tsp. Salt/Namak
- 2 tsp. Chilli Powder/Laal Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder/Dhaniyaa Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder/Jeera Powder
- 2 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
- Handful Coriander/Dhaniyaa (finely chopped)
- In a pan, heat up the oil on medium heat
- Add the finely diced onions and salt
- Cook the onions for 5 minutes until softened
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, crushed ginger and chopped tomatoes
- Cook for 10 minutes until softened
- Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 10-15 minutes until the colour changes
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder
- Cook the spices for 10-15 minutes ensuring that you stir every few minutes
- Add the bell peppers and green chillies
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the bell peppers have softened
- Add the coriander and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Your chicken jalfrezi is ready!