اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
This vegetable spring rolls recipe was created whilst I was stuck in quarantine. We didn’t have any meat and my brother, who is the one who does the food shop, couldn’t be bothered to go and get some, so I had to improvise. Spring rolls are traditionally a Chinese recipe, but this is my take to create Indian veg spring rolls.
I have made many spring rolls and have several spring roll fillings ideas, but I had never made a meat-free version. This spring roll filling recipe is made only of vegetables, which did not go down well when I told my siblings. My siblings usually hate anything vegetable related but these are the perfect appetizers to please anyone.
Spring rolls are typical starters that are found in my families’ dinners. If you’ve never made spring rolls before then never fear, just follow the pictures to show you how to wrap spring rolls so you can make your Indian spring rolls.
I hope those pictures have showed you how to fold spring rolls. With 1 tbsp. of filling per spring roll approximately 60 spring rolls can be made. With 2 tbsp. of filling approximately 30 spring rolls can be made, which if you know basic maths is a given…
With the quantities of the frozen vegetables, you can change them depending on your personal preferences. My family tend to prefer sweetcorn, so I usually add more sweetcorn. I usually use a mixed vegetable packet and then add some more sweetcorn. It all kind of depends on how you want to do it.
These desi vegetable spring rolls are perfect for Ramadan as they can be frozen and kept for 1-2 months. When required simply remove from the freezer an hour or so beforehand before deep frying. When deep frying the Indian vegetable spring rolls ensure that the oil is hot before adding the spring rolls as they might burst if the oil is too cold.
These vegetable spring rolls are perfect for your dinner party so be sure to try them!
Desi Vegetable Spring Rolls
These Indian spring rolls are a twist on the traditional Chinese vegetable spring rolls recipe. This recipe shows you how to make a delicious Indian spring roll filling that tastes even better than shop bought vegetable spring rolls. These bundles of vegetables and spices encased in crispy pastry to make veg spring rolls are brilliant all year round.
- 600g Potatoes
- 400g Frozen Sweetcorn
- 350g Frozen Peas
- 250g Frozen Carrots
- 1L Water
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder / Haldi
- Peel and wash the potatoes before cutting into small cubes
- In a saucepan add the cold water and potatoes
- Allow the water to boil and leave to simmer until the potatoes are slightly soft
- When the potatoes are soft drain the potatoes and allow to cool – reserve the water and set aside
- In another pan heat up the oil
- Add the cumin seeds and sauté for a few minutes
- Add the finely diced onions and salt then stir to combine
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until the onions are softened
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes
- Add a few tablespoons of the reserved water then increase the heat to medium before cooking the spices for a further 10 minutes – make sure you stir occasionally so that the spices do not burn
- Add the sweetcorn, peas and carrots to the mixture along with the remaining reserved water
- Cook on high heat until the majority of the water has evaporated – this will take about 15 minutes, be sure to stir every few minutes so that it doesn’t stick to the pan
- Add the boiled potatoes and stir to combine all the ingredients
- Cook for a few minutes and then take off the heat
- Leave to completely cool before using the mixture to make the spring rolls
- Mix the flour and water to make a thick paste
- Use the paste to seal the edges of the spring rolls
- Heat up the oil in a deep fryer
- Deep fry the spring rolls on both sides for 5 minutes until golden brown