اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
Fish pie is one of my family’s top favourite dinner recipes. It is the perfect comfort food, made with creamy mash and fish chunks in a parsley sauce. The idea of making fish pie came about when I was trying to replica Young’s fisherman’s pie and admiral’s pie. I LOVE this fisherman’s pie and admiral’s pie. It tastes sooooo good, but it’s also quite expensive for me.
Originally when I first started making it I never used to add parsley sauce. This resulted in a rather dry dish. It was nice, don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t quite there yet. I wanted to get that sauce within the dish, so I made the parsley sauce and cooked the fish time. I made a small batch the first time I made it and it went down a treat. I had to make it again the next day because my siblings were all complaining that they didn’t get enough. We actually just had it for dinner today.
The creamy mash potato topping might be a bit too creamy for some people. You can omit the milk if want a thicker consistency of mash. I personally like a rather runny mash because it just gives it that comfort food feeling. You can just throw a spoonful into a bowl and just eat it up whilst cosying up in front of the TV.
Serve this fish pie with a side of crispy French fries for the perfect comfort food dinner.
Fish pie, also known as Fisherman’s pie, is a traditional British dish. This is a simple fish pie recipe that is a great excuse to pack in veg, so use whatever you have on hand. Nothing beats this fish pie recipe for a hearty comfort food. Chunks of fish poached in a thick parsley sauce then topped with a buttery mash. Served along a warm cup of tea and perfect for these cold winter nights!
- For Fish Filling:
- 25g Butter (melted)
- 25g Plain Flour
- 500ml Milk/Doodh (hot)
- 1 tsp Salt/Namak
- ½ tsp Black Pepper/Kali Mirch Powder
- 10g Flat Leaf Parsley
- 600g Fish/Machli
- 50g Frozen Peas/Matar
- 100g Frozen Sweetcorn
- For Mashed Potato Topping:
- 1kg Potatoes/Aloo
- 120g Butter (melted)
- 1 tsp Salt/Namak
- 150ml Milk/Doodh (hot)
- In a large saucepan add the peeled potatoes
- Allow the water to come to a boil then leave to simmer until the potatoes are soft
- Drain the potatoes from the pan and add to bowl
- Mash the potatoes until there are no lumps
- Add the melted butter and warm milk then mash to combined
- Add the salt then mix and set aside – you can use an electric whisk to make it even creamier!
- In a pan add the butter and melt on low heat
- Add the plain flour and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes
- Add the hot milk slowly whilst stirring continuously and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until thickened
- Add the salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add the finely chopped parsley and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add the fish chunks and baste the fish with the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat
- Reduce heat to low then cover and cook for 6-8 minutes
- Add the frozen peas and sweetcorn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes
- Transfer filling into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potatoes
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 15-17 minutes
- Your fish pie is ready!