اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
Chicken is one of the most popular dinner options in my family. We have to have chicken almost daily (I don’t know if that’s even healthy). Anywise one version of using chicken is this chicken and spinach chicken curry otherwise known as palak chicken. It is a relatively quick yet tasty Pakistani dish that can be served alongside homemade chapattis. Basically, on the menu for every Pakistani household.
For a vegetarian alternative you can remove the chicken and make a spinach and potato curry instead. My mum makes the best spinach chicken curry (not that I am biased in any way). This is an authentic Pakistani recipe made with fresh spinach leaves. Completely irresistible and a definite one for your recipe book!
So, with this saag curry I don’t blanch the spinach because it takes a lot longer and I don’t really personally see the point. However, if you have picky eaters in the family (i.e., my siblings) then I kind of have to blanch and puree the spinach leaves. It doesn’t contribute anything in terms of taste, but it just makes the spinach gravy smoother. Even as I write this my brother is complaining about having pulps in his orange juice…Anyways that is beside the point. I would call this a relatively healthy chicken recipe and it is packed through the protein with the double power combination of spinach and chicken. Spinach also has a high protein content if you didn’t know that.
This murgh saag recipe is made of tender chicken lathered in a spinach masala gravy.
Palak chicken is a classic Pakistan dish made with chicken and chopped spinach. With this spinach curry recipe, you can make a chicken saag that is healthy and nutritious without comprising on flavour. Packed with spices, onions and the most ingredient, spinach, this saag recipe is perfect for all those curry nights. This traditional chicken palak recipe is authentic and sure to impress all your family and friends. The heat of the spices in this saag curry recipe combined with the spinach gravy and tender chicken to help you bring the takeout home.
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 500g Spinach/Palak (chopped)
- 400g Chicken
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 3 Garlic Cloves/Lehsan (crushed)
- 2 Onions/Pyaz (finely diced)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 Jalapeño Chilli (sliced)
- 1 tsp Salt/Namak
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder/Laal Mirch Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder/Dhaniyaa Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves/Methi
- Coriander/Dhaniyaa (chopped)
- In a pan heat up the vegetable oil
- Add the chilli flakes and the cumin seeds
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant
- Add the crushed garlic cloves and then sauté for a further 1-2 minutes
- Add the finely diced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until softened
- Add the tomatoes then cook for 3-4 minutes until softened
- Add the finely chopped spinach
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Add the salt, dried fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder
- Cook the spices for 6-8 minutes
- Add the chicken and mix into the spices
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through
- Add the chopped jalapeño chilli
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat
- Add the chopped coriander
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat
- Your chicken palak is ready!