اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
Making potato croquettes was kind of a spur of the moment decision really. My sister was really craving potato croquettes one time and so I decided to try my hand at making them. The concept of potato croquettes seems really simple, but the first few times I made this it actually failed. The mashed potato mixture was really soggy, and I couldn’t make the croquette shapes properly. That’s why I added corn flour in the hope that it would make a firmer mixture and it worked. The reason why I froze the croquettes before is to make it easier to roll in the breadcrumbs. I tried it without freezing the croquettes and the breadcrumbs didn’t stick as well. That is why the next time I tried to make the potato croquettes I froze them. When you do freeze them, it makes it easier to roll in the breadcrumbs without falling apart. When you have coated them in the breadcrumbs be sure to leave them to thaw back to room temperature otherwise the croquettes won’t cook evenly.
This croquette recipe helps you to make the classic fried croquettes that you find in the frozen aisle of the local store. Homemade potato croquettes taste a lot better so that is why I always try to make them at home. The addition of milk makes the mashed potato mixture creamier and have a better texture. I do want to try these potato croquettes with the addition of cheese or something else to add something more, but I haven’t had the chance to yet.
Try these fried potato croquettes alongside your favourite dip.
Potato croquettes are a perfect side dish that are easy to make. Homemade potato croquettes are a family favourite and with this croquette recipe you will never need to go frozen again. A crispy shell of breadcrumbs surrounding a mashed potato mixture that is perfect for dinner parties and buffets. This is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Deep fry or bake these for a delicious appetizer.
- 1kg Maris Piper Potatoes (peeled)
- 6 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Milk
- 100g Corn Flour
- 200g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 200g Breadcrumbs
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan until softened
- Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth
- Add the butter, corn flour, plain flour, salt and pepper
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white and set egg white aside
- Add the egg yolk to the potatoes and mix to combine
- Create croquette shaped balls and leave to freeze for at least an hour
- Once hardened, dip the croquette shaped balls into the egg white mixture then coat in the breadcrumbs
- Leave for half an hour for the coated croquettes to reach room temperature
- Deep fry the potato croquettes for 5-7 minutes until golden brown